SAN BIAGIO

La contrada di San Biagio presenta le forme tipiche di un quartiere di età pienamente medievale, con vie molto strette e porte di accesso al quartiere. L’edilizia civile è legata alle forme conosciute per questo periodo storico, con case con profferlo e murature in tufo a “facciavista”.

La struttura più significativa di questo quartiere è senza dubbio la chiesa di san Biagio, edificata nel XII secolo e la cui antichità è testimoniata da un’iscrizione del 1253 incisa sulla campana. La struttura ecclesiastica, insieme alle case ad essa limitrofe, sono state cedute all’ordine Ospedaliero di Santo Spirito in Saxia,fondato da papa Innocenzo III, che utilizzava questi luoghi per avviare i giovani alle attività dell’Ospedale.

La chiesa, che è stata colpita da un incendio nel 1754 che ne  ha quasi del tutto cancellato il suo aspetto romanico, è sede della Confraternita della Santissima Trinità.

The district of San Biagio has the typical style of a medieval age district, with very narrow streets and entrances to the district. The civil construction is related to the known forms in this historical period houses with walls made of tuff and facings. 

In fact, with regards to this style of civil construction,for this period, Leoncini offers a glimpse of a cross section of the aristocratic building medieval age Orte, ".... havevano proferii” and dwellings supported by carved stones of the houses ... on the main streets, and  many arcades and towers denoting greatness of  nobility ... ".

In this area of he town, in Belvedere Square, there was a pit found,  filled with materials (ceramics, building materials) dating back to the Etruscan occupation of the plateau but the most significant structure in this neighborhood, without a doubt, is the church San Biagio, built in the twelfth century and whose antiquity is attested by an inscription of 1253 engraved on the bell.

The ecclesiastical structure, together with the houses surrounding it, had been transformed into the  Santo Spirito in Saxia, Hospital founded by Pope Innocent III, who used these places to invite young people to work there. The church, which was devastated by fire in 1754, which had almost completely erased its Romanesque aspect, is now the seat of the Confraternity of the Holy Trinity that is characterized, during the procession of the dead Christ, for the red color of clothing.


SANT'AGOSTINO

Nell’attuale piazza del Popolo, precedentemente piazza Sant’Agostino, cuore della contrada Olivola, che come narra il Leoncini,prendeva il nome da un olivo posto al centro della piazza spicca la facciata di un grande edificio di culto affiancato da un campanile.

Questa chiesa , che oggi è sede della confraternita di santa Croce e ospita il Museo che conserva le suppellettili dell’antica processione del venerdì santo, è il risultato dell'accorpamento di tre edifici sacri sorti in epoche differenti: la chiesa  di Santa Croce, l'oratorio di Sant'Egidio e la chiesa di Sant'Agostino. La presenza dei frati agostiniani dentro la città è documentata nel 1278.

La chiesa oggi visibile era già in funzione nel 1335,  mentre quella di Santa Croce è la più antica del complesso, e ad essa era annesso l'Ospedale dei Convalescenti.

All'interno della chiesa si possono ammirare tracce d'affreschi rinascimentali, un prezioso Crocefisso ligneo del XV sec. e la pala d'altare della Madonna del Rosario opera del XVI sec. del pittore Giorgio da Orte.Il campanile era,in realtà, la torretta della porta d'ingresso della residenza del comune , come testimoniato dallo stemma ancora in posto.

In Piazza del Popolo, formerly named, Sant'Agostino square, is the heart of the district Olivola, were Leoncini tells how it got its name from an olive tree placed in the center of the square that stands the in facade of a large building of worship, adjoined by a bell tower.

This church, which is now the seat of the Confraternity of the Holy Cross and home to the Museum which preserves the furnishings of the ancient procession of Good Friday, is the result of the amalgamation of three sacred buildings built up in different eras: the church of Santa Croce, the 'oratory of the church of Sant'Agostino and Sant'Egidio. The presence of the Augustinian friars in the city is documented in 1278. The church as seen today was already in operation in 1335, while that of the Holy Cross is the oldest of the complex, and it was annexed to the Convalescent Hospital.

A recent cleaning operation in the basement of the environment that houses the Museum of the Brotherhoods Gather, allowed to bring to light the church of Santa Croce with its characteristic staircase.

In addition, the church is in direct physical contact with other underground rooms used as ossuaries and communicating with the hydraulic network underground. Inside the church you can see traces of Renaissance frescoes, a precious wooden crucifix of the XV century. and the altarpiece of the Madonna of the Rosary, painted by the sixteenth century. painter, Giorgio da Orte. The bell tower was actually the access door of the residence of the municipal, as evidenced by the coat of arms still in place.