Mappa-centro-storico.jpg
DSC_0507.JPG
DSC_0078.jpg
SBiagio.jpg
Mappa-centro-storico.jpg

La città


Una ingens Amiterna cohors priscique Quirites,
Ereti manus omnis oliviferaeque Mutuscae;
qui Nomentum urbem, qui Rosea rura Velini,
qui Tetricae horrentis rupes montemque Severum
Casperiamque colunt Forulosque et flumen Himellae,
qui Tiberim Fabarimque bibunt, quos frigida misit
Nursia, et Ortinae classes populique Latini,
quosque secans infaustum interluit Allia nomen:
quam multi Libyco volvuntur marmore fluctus
saevus ubi Orion hibernis conditur undis,
vel cum sole novo densae torrentur aristae
aut Hermi campo aut Lyciae flaventibus arvis.

 

Virgilio, Eneide, Libro VII, De Italiae Viris Armatis.

 

SCROLL DOWN

La città


Una ingens Amiterna cohors priscique Quirites,
Ereti manus omnis oliviferaeque Mutuscae;
qui Nomentum urbem, qui Rosea rura Velini,
qui Tetricae horrentis rupes montemque Severum
Casperiamque colunt Forulosque et flumen Himellae,
qui Tiberim Fabarimque bibunt, quos frigida misit
Nursia, et Ortinae classes populique Latini,
quosque secans infaustum interluit Allia nomen:
quam multi Libyco volvuntur marmore fluctus
saevus ubi Orion hibernis conditur undis,
vel cum sole novo densae torrentur aristae
aut Hermi campo aut Lyciae flaventibus arvis.

 

Virgilio, Eneide, Libro VII, De Italiae Viris Armatis.

 

Orte

Fondata dagli Etruschi di Volsinii ( Orvieto), è stata abitata dal VI secolo, rimanendo le necropoli di Le Piane e San Bernardino. Virgilio canta nell’Eneide l’intervento delle hortinae classes (flotte o eserciti ortani). Roma, che ha qui vinto, nelle due battaglie del lago Vadimone (309 e 283 a.C), lo scontro decisivo con gli Etruschi, la eleva a municipio agli inizi del I secolo a.C. Il territorio è disseminato di ville, che beneficiano del transito per Orte della via Amerina e dell’importante porto fluviale di Seripola, potenziato in età augustea.

L’affermarsi del Cristianesimo, con l’elevazione a sede vescovile agli inizi del VII secolo, e l’aggiunta di fortificazioni ad opera dei Bizantini, sono alcuni segni che si colgono, nell’Alto Medioevo, della crescita di Orte in ambito tiberino. Dopo essere stata a lungo contesa dai Longobardi, per assicurarsi il controllo delle strade principali di collegamento tra Roma e Ravenna, conosce un ulteriore sviluppo nella metà del IX secolo, con la fondazione di una seconda cattedrale (poi Santa Maria Assunta) ed il potenziamento delle mura.

Occupata dagli Arabi e riconquistata nel 914, intensifica nel X ed XI secolo il proprio controllo sul fiume, contendendone il primato ad Amelia, a Narni e all’Abbazia di Farfa. Qui comincia il periodo più florido della città, che accresce la sua superficie con lo sviluppo di borghi suburbani e ingloba intorno al 1150 il ponte sul fiume.

Founded by the Etruscans of Volsinii (Orvieto), they lived here from 6th century BC leaving in their necropolis (Le Piane, San Bernardino) domestic utensils and other objects which are on display in the Vatican Museum.

Virgil record in the Aeneid, the encounter of hortinae classes (Orte’s fleet or army) against Aeneas. In two battles of Lake Vadimone (309 and 283 BC) Rome had its decisive victory over the Etruscans and in the beginning of 1st century BC made Orte a “municipium”.

Villas and farms were built and they benefited from the passage of the Via Amerina and of the great fluvial port of Seripola, strengthened during Augustean Age.

In the beginning of seventh century, with the spread of Christianity, Orte became a bishopric and the Byzantines built a fortress: these are evidence of the developing of Orte in the Tiber area.

After being claimed by the Lombards, the town further expanded in the half of 9th century, with the foundation of a second cathedral (today Santa Maria Assunta) and the strengthening of urban walls. Occupied by Arabs and retaken in 914, Orte increased its control of the river, contending the supremacy with Amelia, Narni and Farfa abbey.

DSC_0507.JPG

Le porte


Entrare ed uscire dalla città

Le porte


Entrare ed uscire dalla città

PORTA DEL VASCELLARO

In prossimità dell’ex chiesa di San Gregorio, che da il nome all'omonima contrada, vi è la cosiddetta porta del Vascellaro o del Maiotto, sormontata dal triregno papale. L’area, che doveva essere occupata dalle botteghe dei vasai, è attraversata nel sottosuolo da cunicoli oggi visitabili.

Da questo settore della rupe ci si affaccia sulla valle del Rio Paranza e sui colli di San Bernardino e delle Grazie, riconoscibili dalla natura tufacea del primo e calcarea del secondo.

Il colle di San Bernardino, conosciuto nelle fonti medievali come Civita Deserta o Collis Hortanus,  ospita la chiesa semi-rupestre della Santissima Trinità, edificata nel XIV secolo ,forse su una preesistenza voluta dall’abbazia di Farfa e l’ unica necropoli etrusca rinvenuta in questo territorio, che ha restituito la collezione archeologica più prestigiosa conservata presso il museo civico.

 

In the vicinity of the former church of San Gregorio, which gives the same name to the district,  there is the  Vascellaro or Maiotto door,which is surmounted by the triple crown of the Pope. The area, which was to be occupied by the workshops of potters as suggested by the name "Vascellaro", is crossed by underground tunnels, that can be visited today. In particular, at the former church of San Giorgio, you will find the '"Vascellaro’s underground," an underground environment adjacent to the main tunnel used as a millstone for the production of wine.

From this area of he cliff which overlooks the valley of the Rio Paranza and the hills of San Bernardino and the Grazie, recognizable, first by the natural tuff formation and second by limestone formation. The hill of San Bernardino, known from medieval sources such as Civita Deserted or Hortanus Collis, home of the semi-rock church of the Holy Trinity, built in the fourteenth century, perhaps on an Order of the Abbey of Farfa, and  Etruscan necropolis found in this territory, despite being looted over the centuries, has given back  the most prestigious archaeological collection preserved in the local civic museum.

Looking at he hill  of the Grazie, you can see the Nuzzi Palace and the current convent of the Benedictine nuns, built in 1599 next to the existing chapel of Santa Maria delle Grazie, already attested in the twelfth century. In fact, the monastery was initially occupied by the Gerolimini monks and only since the last century, became the home of the Benedictine nuns. 


PORTA DI SAN CESAREO

La porta di Santo Cesareo fu edificata nel 1449 nell’ambito di una riorganizzazione complessiva delle difese della cittadina in virtù della distruzione della Rocca. Il nome deriva probabilmente da una chiesa, dedicata allo stesso santo, già scomparsa nel ‘500, come testimoniato dallo storico ortano Leoncini che ne ritrova menzione esclusivamente in un protocollo notarile precedente.

La porta, costruita da mastro Bartolomeo di Bernardino,  consentiva il collegamento tra il centro urbano e il ponte sul Tevere con i suoi adiacenti borghi di San Giacomo e San Giorgio. Negli ambienti ipogei sottostanti, all’interno dell’attuale taverna della contrada di sant’Angelo, sono visibili resti di un settore della fortificazione voluta dai bizantini durante il conflitto con i Longobardi.

Porta di Santo Cesareo was built in 1449 as part of an overall reorganization of the defenses of the town by virtue of the destruction of the fortress and had been designed according to the scheme of the double door system. This side of the plateau,facing south , was definitely the most difficult to defend , as it open up to the main access road leading into the town. The doors name was probably derived from a church, dedicated to St. Cesareo that perish in the 500’s, as evidenced by the historian Ortano Leoncini , which finds mention only in a notarial protocol.

The door, built by Master Bartolomeo Bernardino and which was subsequently adjoined by a lodge to ensure better coverage of the cliff , allowed the connection between the city center and the bridge over the Tiber with its adjacent villages of San Giacomo and San Giorgio. In the underground rooms below, in the basement of the district of Sant'Angelo , there are remains of a section of the fortification built by the Byzantines during the conflict with the Lombards . 

porta 3.jpg

LA ROCCA

Poco o nulla sappiamo delle origini della rocca che fu senz’altro ricostruita per volere del cardinale Egidio Albornoz nel 1366 e, stando alla descrizione che ne da lo storico ortano Leoncini, doveva apparire come un baluardo inespugnabile per il nemico. Nel XV secolo la Rocca era nelle mani di Antonio Colonna che impose una tirannia sulla città, portando gli ortani, nel 1431, a demolirla definitivamente durante un moto di rivolta.

L’area della Rocca consente l’affaccio sulla valle del Tevere, dominato dai colli Amerini e il panorama antico era sicuramente caratterizzato dal ponte sul fiume, di cui ora si possono solamente osservare i ruderi, e dalla via Amerina che si doveva biforcare per raggiungere da un  lato Amelia e dall’altro, con un diverticolo, il porto di Seripola e il successivo castello di Castiglioni.

Little or nothing is known of the origins of the fortress that was known to be rebuilt by Cardinal Albornoz in 1366 and, according to the description given by the historian Ortano Leoncini, it was to appear as an impregnable bulwark for the enemy. In the fifteenth century the fortress was in the hands of Antonio Colonna, who imposed a tyranny over the city, bringing the Ortani, in 1431, to demolish it permanently during a movement of revolt.

The area of he fortress offers a view of the Tiber valley, dominated by the hills around Amelia and where the ancient landscape was certainly characterized by a bridge over the river, that collapsed in 1515 and was never rebuil, where now you can only see the ruins,  along  the way to Amerina that you had to get from one side of forking for Amelia and the other with a deviation, towards the port of Seripola, which later became the Castle of Castiglioni.

The abandonment of the fortress intended as a military garrison and center of power led to its construction, between 1598 and 1602, the Alberti Building, which was inspired by using classical architecture, with severe lines and elegant forms. The main floor has an elegant dining cycles of frescoes dating from the XVII - XVIII century, one of which is the fortress in its original form. The basement of the palace, partly used for dyeing wool in the age of the Renaissance, hosts large  pigeon coves, used for raising pigeons for food and where a large quarry had been formed for the extraction of materials for use in construction. 

DSC_0078.jpg

Le piazze


Luoghi d'incontro cittadini

Le piazze


Luoghi d'incontro cittadini

PIAZZA BELVEDERE

Piazza Belvedere, conosciuta anche come piazza del Poggio, si trova nel cuore della contrada San Sebastiano e conserva molti dei suoi caratteri medievali. 

Al centro della piazza si ergeva la chiesa di san Sebastiano, attestata dalle fonti già nel 1293 , oggi ridotta a semplice abitazione e posta quasi a ridosso della cosiddetta “casa di Giuda”, abitazione tipica medievale che la tradizione vuole attribuire ad un traditore della comunità che avrebbe favorito l’ingresso all’interno delle mura di fuoriusciti utilizzando i cunicoli sotterranei.  

Dal 1235 è attestato in questo settore della rupe il monastero delle monache di San Giorgio, che lo edificarono a proprie spese e due secoli più tardi commissionarono anche la realizzazione del ninfeo sotterraneo sottostante alla piazza.

 

Piazza Belvedere also known as Piazza del Poggio is located in the heart of the San Sebastian and retains many of its medieval character. At the center of the square once stood the church of St. Sebastian, as attested by early sources dated back to 1293, now reduced to a simple home and placed almost behind the "house of Judah",which is a typical medieval house which tradition says was attributed to a traitor to the community who would have favored the entrance within the walls of escapees using the underground tunnels.

In 1235 it is attested that in this area of he tuff cliff the monastery of the nuns of San Giorgio, who built it at their own expense, and two centuries later also commissioned the construction of the underground nymph below the square. The nymph is definitely the highlight of the subsoil Ortano; it is an underground complex of Renaissance style whose upper floors consists of a large room divided by pillars.

The second level is more complex, articulated in a number of rooms carved into the rock all occupied by hydraulic systems fed by underground tunnel from the fountain in Piazza della Libertà. From the Piazza viewpoint you can see where the once called "Arc De Pajacci" (now Via Manin), which consists of one of the vaults in which the monastery of Santa Maria di Loreto encompasses the street and which takes its name from the pallets that were used for hospitalization of patients. 


piazza colonna

La piazza prende il nome da un basamento sormontato da una colonna di reimpiego ubicato al centro di essa.

La piazza si sviluppa intorno al complesso ecclesiastico di San Silvestro, composto da una chiesa ed un campanile romanico edificati per volontà del monastero romano di san Silvestro in Capite, proprietario di numerosi immobili nel centro urbano, durante il XII secolo .

La Chiesa, oggi sede del Museo di Arte Sacra, fu snaturata da una copertura di intonaco e altri interventi realizzati nel XVII secolo. Da queste trasformazioni, che hanno forse asportato anche l’abside, scaturì la realizzazione del monumento con la colonna recuperata dalla primitiva cattedrale cittadina; monumento poi trasformato nel 1717 e a proprie spese, dal cardinale ortano Nuzzi che ne sostituì il basamento.

The square takes its name from a base surmounted by a column  relocated in the center of it. The square is developed around the church complex of San Silvestro, consisting of a church and a Romanesque bell tower built at the behest of the Roman monastery of San Silvestro , who owned several properties in the city center, during the twelfth century.

Of particular value is the bell tower which was not projected with expertise, but is a harmonious architectural elegant complex , enlivened by the polychrome inlays of different building materials that were used. The Church, now home to the Museum of Sacred Art, was distorted by a covering of plaster and other interventions in the seventeenth century.

From these transformations, which have probably removed the apse, originated the creation of the monument with the column recovered from the primitive cathedral town; that was later transformed into a monument in 1717 by the Cardinal Ortano Nuzzi, at his own expense, which replaced the base structure. This was one of his last wishes as a few months later, despited sources claim that the air of Ortana benefited  his health, died at the age of 72 years. 


PIAZZA DELLA LIBERTÀ

L’attuale piazza della Libertà, conosciuta con il nome di Piazza Santa Maria, è sovrastata dall’imponente facciata della cattedrale dedicata alla vergine dalla quale traeva il nome la piazza.

L’aspetto attuale è frutto di numerose trasformazioni che sono cominciate già con la monumentalizzazione che l’abitato ha conosciuto in età imperiale, come testimoniato dalla pavimentazione del foro e dal sepolcreto altomedievale visibili nel saggio ai piedi della cattedrale.

Secondo lo Statuto del Comune per piazza doveva intendersi lo spazio incluso tra le sette catene che sono al loro posto dal 1401 e che delimitano le sette vie di accesso corrispondenti alle altrettante contrade in  cui è diviso  l’abitato. La loro funzione era specificatamente  giuridica in quanto, stando ai protocolli notarili, il reato compiuto all’interno della piazza era punito con il doppio della pena.

The square takes its name from a base surmounted by a column  relocated in the center of it. The square is developed around the church complex of San Silvestro, consisting of a church and a Romanesque bell tower built at the behest of the Roman monastery of San Silvestro , who owned several properties in the city center, during the twelfth century. Of particular value is the bell tower which was not projected with expertise, but is a harmonious architectural elegant complex , enlivened by the polychrome inlays of different building materials that were used.

The Church, now home to the Museum of Sacred Art, was distorted by a covering of plaster and other interventions in the seventeenth century. From these transformations, which have probably removed the apse, originated the creation of the monument with the column recovered from the primitive cathedral town; that was later transformed into a monument in 1717 by the Cardinal Ortano Nuzzi, at his own expense, which replaced the base structure. This was one of his last wishes as a few months later, despited sources claim that the air of Ortana benefited  his health, died at the age of 72 years. 

SBiagio.jpg

Le Chiese


Luoghi di culto

Le Chiese


Luoghi di culto

SAN BIAGIO

La contrada di San Biagio presenta le forme tipiche di un quartiere di età pienamente medievale, con vie molto strette e porte di accesso al quartiere. L’edilizia civile è legata alle forme conosciute per questo periodo storico, con case con profferlo e murature in tufo a “facciavista”.

La struttura più significativa di questo quartiere è senza dubbio la chiesa di san Biagio, edificata nel XII secolo e la cui antichità è testimoniata da un’iscrizione del 1253 incisa sulla campana. La struttura ecclesiastica, insieme alle case ad essa limitrofe, sono state cedute all’ordine Ospedaliero di Santo Spirito in Saxia,fondato da papa Innocenzo III, che utilizzava questi luoghi per avviare i giovani alle attività dell’Ospedale.

La chiesa, che è stata colpita da un incendio nel 1754 che ne  ha quasi del tutto cancellato il suo aspetto romanico, è sede della Confraternita della Santissima Trinità.

The district of San Biagio has the typical style of a medieval age district, with very narrow streets and entrances to the district. The civil construction is related to the known forms in this historical period houses with walls made of tuff and facings. 

In fact, with regards to this style of civil construction,for this period, Leoncini offers a glimpse of a cross section of the aristocratic building medieval age Orte, ".... havevano proferii” and dwellings supported by carved stones of the houses ... on the main streets, and  many arcades and towers denoting greatness of  nobility ... ".

In this area of he town, in Belvedere Square, there was a pit found,  filled with materials (ceramics, building materials) dating back to the Etruscan occupation of the plateau but the most significant structure in this neighborhood, without a doubt, is the church San Biagio, built in the twelfth century and whose antiquity is attested by an inscription of 1253 engraved on the bell.

The ecclesiastical structure, together with the houses surrounding it, had been transformed into the  Santo Spirito in Saxia, Hospital founded by Pope Innocent III, who used these places to invite young people to work there. The church, which was devastated by fire in 1754, which had almost completely erased its Romanesque aspect, is now the seat of the Confraternity of the Holy Trinity that is characterized, during the procession of the dead Christ, for the red color of clothing.


SANT'AGOSTINO

Nell’attuale piazza del Popolo, precedentemente piazza Sant’Agostino, cuore della contrada Olivola, che come narra il Leoncini,prendeva il nome da un olivo posto al centro della piazza spicca la facciata di un grande edificio di culto affiancato da un campanile.

Questa chiesa , che oggi è sede della confraternita di santa Croce e ospita il Museo che conserva le suppellettili dell’antica processione del venerdì santo, è il risultato dell'accorpamento di tre edifici sacri sorti in epoche differenti: la chiesa  di Santa Croce, l'oratorio di Sant'Egidio e la chiesa di Sant'Agostino. La presenza dei frati agostiniani dentro la città è documentata nel 1278.

La chiesa oggi visibile era già in funzione nel 1335,  mentre quella di Santa Croce è la più antica del complesso, e ad essa era annesso l'Ospedale dei Convalescenti.

All'interno della chiesa si possono ammirare tracce d'affreschi rinascimentali, un prezioso Crocefisso ligneo del XV sec. e la pala d'altare della Madonna del Rosario opera del XVI sec. del pittore Giorgio da Orte.Il campanile era,in realtà, la torretta della porta d'ingresso della residenza del comune , come testimoniato dallo stemma ancora in posto.

In Piazza del Popolo, formerly named, Sant'Agostino square, is the heart of the district Olivola, were Leoncini tells how it got its name from an olive tree placed in the center of the square that stands the in facade of a large building of worship, adjoined by a bell tower.

This church, which is now the seat of the Confraternity of the Holy Cross and home to the Museum which preserves the furnishings of the ancient procession of Good Friday, is the result of the amalgamation of three sacred buildings built up in different eras: the church of Santa Croce, the 'oratory of the church of Sant'Agostino and Sant'Egidio. The presence of the Augustinian friars in the city is documented in 1278. The church as seen today was already in operation in 1335, while that of the Holy Cross is the oldest of the complex, and it was annexed to the Convalescent Hospital.

A recent cleaning operation in the basement of the environment that houses the Museum of the Brotherhoods Gather, allowed to bring to light the church of Santa Croce with its characteristic staircase.

In addition, the church is in direct physical contact with other underground rooms used as ossuaries and communicating with the hydraulic network underground. Inside the church you can see traces of Renaissance frescoes, a precious wooden crucifix of the XV century. and the altarpiece of the Madonna of the Rosary, painted by the sixteenth century. painter, Giorgio da Orte. The bell tower was actually the access door of the residence of the municipal, as evidenced by the coat of arms still in place.